7 Business Resolutions

#tax #newyear #businessgoals


It's nearly the start of a new tax year


Most of us have either dropped our New Year resolutions or firmly made habits of them.


However, just around the corner is the start of a new tax year. This opens up a fantastic opportunity to use the power of resolutions and goal-setting in your business life.





a goal without a plan is just a wish.

Science shows us that we need to actively plan our goals. In fact, a Harvard Business Study showed that the 3% of their MBA graduates who wrote down their goals ended up earning ten times more than the other 97% of graduates put together.


Plans matter.


So what should your business plans, a.k.a. resolutions, be for the new tax year?



Know your numbers


When running a small business it’s very easy to leave the financials to tick along in the background. After all, bookkeeping isn’t what you set out to actually do with your time, it’s more of a necessary evil.


However, knowing the current state of affairs for your business is essential. You need insight in to cash flow, invoice payments and more.


Therefore, make the 2019/20 tax year the one where you start regularly look looking at your profit and loss so you can make the best decisions moving forwards.


Little and often


Embrace a resolution of doing your books on a little and often basis.


Cloud accounting software #Xero makes this short work.


Log expenses and sales straight from your desktop and it does the hard work for you.


You’ll thank us when you don’t have the tedious task of working your way through 12 months of invoices, receipts and bank statements.


Chase invoices


There’s good business sense to chasing invoices and ensuring payment on time. After all, it’s your money!


Healthy businesses need healthy cash flow, how often are your invoices paid on time?


A disproportionate amount of time can be spent chasing just one or two tardy customers.


Again, Xero makes it easier. Invoice reminders are automated and you can quickly see which offenders need a quick chat.


What’s more, learn from these and don’t let them turn in to repeat offenders. Change your payment terms for them if necessary.


Use software to make your life easier


There are tools out there to make the life of a small business owner considerably easier. Think about the laborious elements of your business particularly in terms of where repeated tasks are involved.


Then make it your mission to start the 2019/20 tax year with software to make these tasks simpler. All businesses can benefit from cloud accounting software, but you may also want to use diarising apps, inventory control software or email marketing tools.


Save for tax


No one likes a tax bill. However, it’s a great deal less painful if you save for it automatically along the way. Automatically move part of all income in to a dedicated account which is for tax only. Effectively think in terms of this account not existing – it’s purely there just to pay the tax man.


Making tax digital


If you’re a VAT registered business over the VAT threshold of £85,000 then from 1st April you’ll need to file your VAT return digitally under #makingtaxdigital. This means you’ll need fully compatible and functional software to do it.


The good news is that this is great for your business anyway, helping to be efficient and excel at accurate record-keeping. Xero is ideal.


Know the business expenses rules


HMRC have been really tightening up on expenses loopholes. There are no excuses for getting it wrong.


Your cloud accounting software should help you. However, make this the year you swot up on what you need to know. If you have employees incurring expenses see here, and if you’re self-employed this is for you.


Make 2019/20 the tax year where you make resolutions and goals which will ensure your business’s health.


Remember to write you goal down and take active steps to achieve it. If you’re not sure where to start, give us a call at Blue Arrow Accounting



THE  ARROWS
NUMBERS
FIND US

Sunnybank House, High Street, Mayfield,  TN20 6AA


hello@bluearrowaccounting.co.uk

Mon - Thurs: 9.30am - 5.30pm

  • Twitter - White Circle
  • LinkedIn - White Circle
  • Facebook - White Circle
  • Instagram - White Circle

© 2023 by Blue Arrow Accounting Ltd Registered Company No. 11414873